Cookies can only store text, which is always anonymous and usually encrypted. Avis will never store any personal information in a cookie.
Change cookie preferences
What are cookies?Cookies are small text files generated by websites that you visit holding session data that may be of use later in the site. The data allows the site to maintain your information between pages, and also to analyse the way you interact with the site.
Cookies are secure – they can only store information that is put there by the browser, which is information the user has entered into the browser or that is included in the page request. They cannot run code and they cannot be used to access your computer. If a website encrypts the information in the cookie, only that website can read the information.
There are two different types of cookies: Session and Persistent. They are used for different things and contain different information
Session cookies contain information that is used within your current browser session. These cookies are automatically deleted when you close your browser. Nothing is persisted on your machine beyond the time you spend on the site.
Persistent cookies are used to hold information that is used between visits. This data allows sites to recognise that you are a returning customer and react accordingly. Persistent cookies have a lifetime value that is set by the website, which can vary between a few minutes or several years.
Web analytics cookies, from our partners Google and Adobe, allow us to track customer interaction within the site. This gives us valuable insights which enable us to improve the site and the products and services we offer.
We also work with partners who will write third party cookies which are then used by advertisers on other sites to give you appropriate and relevant adverts based on your browsing history. These cookies do not store personal information enabling other sites to identify you, they are based purely on the browsing history.
Turning off and deleting cookiesAll web browsers allow you to limit cookie behaviour or turn off cookies within the settings or options of the browser. The steps to do this are different for each browser, you can find instructions under the Help menu of your browser.
Through your browser you can also view the cookies that are on your computer, and delete individual ones, or purge them all.
Cookies are just text files so you can open them and read the contents. The data within them is often encrypted, or a numerical key corresponding to a web session so they often don't make sense to anything other than the website that wrote it.
If you turn off cookies, the Avis site will not be able to create a reservation. Disabling cookies will also affect the monitoring of your progress through the site, but will not stop the analytics code from recognising your visit.
What cookies does the Avis site create?The session cookies that Avis writes includes data used by the web server hardware about which server is processing your session, your authentication status (against the Avis customer database) and the details of your reservation.
The persistent cookies that are created by the Avis website are used by our technology partners. They are used to recognise traffic to the site that is returning users rather than new customers. The information that is stored is used to serve you appropriate adverts on other sites on our behalf. Deleting these cookies won't affect your experience or the functionality of the Avis website.
Cookies from technology partners
- Cookie type
- Adobe Analytics
- Avis partner with Adobe Analytics for web analytics and customer journey analysis. The data that is collected allows us to improve the site, infrastructure, products and services based on where, when and what customers look at. Adobe write both persistent and session cookies. The cookies do not store personal data. Deleting or disabling these cookies will not limit the functionality of the site.
- Avis partner with LivePerson to provide "Click to Call" and "Click to Chat" functionality – allowing the customer to talk to an agent in our contact centre if the site recognises they are having difficulty with the page. LivePerson write both persistent and session cookies. The cookies do not store personal data. Deleting or disabling these cookies will not limit the functionality of the site.
- Avis work with Maxymiser to test and find the optimal content and experience for our users. The cookies used by Maxymiser enable us to identify which experiences visitors to our site have seen so that we can ensure we serve them with the same experience again should they return to our site. The data collected through these cookies is anonymous, does not collect specific customer data and is never shared with other third parties.
- We use these cookies on a small number of pages to see when people have come from specific websites, search engines or online advertisements. This helps us to see how people find us and how well our marketing is working.
- We use UserZoom to present feedback surveys on the website. The UserZoom cookie allows us to control how many times we present the survey option to each visitor.
- SessionCam is a service developed and operated by ServiceTick Ltd which provides session replays, advanced website heat maps, conversion funnels and form analytics to help us make our website more usable for you.
- Avis work with DoubleClick to display our banner advertising on other selected websites based on pages already viewed on avis.ro. The cookies used by DoubleClick help us to monitor and improve the effectiveness of our banner advertising and to refine the targeting of these campaigns so that we are displaying the most relevant content for each individual. The data collected through these cookies is anonymous, does not collect specific customer data and is never shared with other third parties.