Rent a car in Austria
Car Rental in AustriaAvis car hire provides car rentals throughout Austria.
Hiring a car with Avis gives you the opportunity to discover Austria's majestic mountains, pure air and rivers with blue-white glacial water that attract visitors from all over the world.
Imagine all you can see and experience with your hire car; Avis gives you the freedom to create a memorable holiday, in the comfort of your own car, no matter the destination.
Road rules of Austria
These rules are to be used as a guide, please be aware that rules are subject to change.
Which Side of the Road?
In Austria, please drive on the RIGHT side of the road.
Unique Country Driving Laws
- Do not use your horn around Vienna, and hospitals, you may be fined.
- Do not overtake buses, when the yellow lights are flashing.
- In some areas of Austria you have to obtain a parking voucher. These can be bought almost anywhere.
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: up to 31 mph (50 km/h)
- Motorways: up to 80 mph (130 km/h)
- Rural areas: 62 mph (100 km/h)
- Snow Chains is 31 mph (50 km/h)
Child Safety / Seatbelt Laws
It is compulsory for all inside the vehicle to wear a seatbelt.
- All children under 14 and less than 1.50 metres in height, are not permitted to travel as a front or rear seat passenger unless using suitable restraint system for their height / weight.
- Sports cars may not transport chidren under 14.
Please note - It is the child’s parent / guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.